Over the last decade, the smartphone revolution has radically changed our lives. From banking to retail the smartphone has become a powerful tool meant for collaboration. Much like everything else, medicine and healthcare have not remained oblivious to the charm of the smartphone. Innovative digital technologies, cloud computing, machine intelligence have dramatically changed the perception of healthcare.
In this blog, we take a look at 10 ways in which physicians can leverage their smartphone for things other than checking emails.
1. Practice Management – Practice management for doctors on the go can be a huge task. Who has the time to shift through multiple files and databases to get information? Smartphone apps can help busy doctors manage multiple clinics and their related administrative concerns from a central repository.
2. Patient Management – Doctors can now very conveniently convert their smartphone into their personal assistant. Right from accessing important patient information and history to logging complete patient interactions within seconds, doctors can leverage their smartphone to access medical records, previous prescriptions, lab tests etc.
3. Appointment Management – Who wants to manage multiple calendars that anyways run overfull all the time? Busy doctors need an efficient appointment management application that can help them plan, schedule and organize their days without overlaps easily.
4. Case management – How much of precious time is wasted looking for the relevant case file which has to be fetched manually by an already overworked hospital worker. With the help of smartphone applications, doctors can get all the case related data right in the palm of their hand.
5. Referral Management- How many times in a day do you think doctors refer patients to other doctors? How many patients do doctors meet in a day? Now try isolating who you had referred to which doctor and who you hadn’t referred at all. While referral management might seem very easy, it can sometimes snowball into something quite unmanageable. Use your smartphone for easy referral management instead.
6. Record Management –When everyone is going paperless wouldn’t it just be easier to go paperless when managing patient records as well? A smartphone application with specialty-wise templates can help doctors enter and manage patient records easily with minimal typing. Minimum effort but maximum benefit.
7. Multiple file storing – When we say medical files, most people assume reports and prescriptions. However, medical files also include X-Rays, pictures, videos along with test results. Doctors can use save and access these files from their smartphone quite easily.
8. File sharing – Just having access to online medical records is not enough anymore. A smartphone application that is smart enough will allow doctors to not just view all files, reports, X-Rays of patients but will also allow them to share it with the concerned people.
9. Practice Analytics – Doctors can now put their smartphone to good use for practice analytics. With the help of data-driven insights, they can understand the kind of patients they are getting, commonalities between patients, identify frequently
conducted tests, factors contributing to recurring ailments etc. all of which contribute greatly in disease management.
10. Financial Management – With everything that they already need to manage, do doctors have the time for managing their own finances, transactions, billings, referrals, consultation fees etc.? Most would say no. However, doctors can use your smartphone to manage all these and know exactly how their finances are shaping up.
Using the smartphone, physicians and doctors can early remove the barriers that impede optimal performance for them. All they need to ensure is that they get a single solution with multiple capabilities that can meet all their needs.